Geeta Dayal, a well-respected art critic and music journalist, is helping organize a music concert, Music for India, on Saturday, June 5th. She announced the news about the concert on Twitter. All proceeds from the concert, which will stream online, will go towards COVID relief efforts in India. Headlining the event is legendary musician Terry Riley. Indian classical violinist Kala Ramnath and pedal steel guitar explorer Chuck Johnson are going to join Riley. Several other musical acts are likely to join the concert. I am going to watching this concert and doing my best to support the relief efforts. You can follow Geeta on Twitter to get updates on the concert.
It has been a rough few days for the citizens of India, who have been struggling with the rampaging COVID-19 virus. The pandemic is more widespread than either media or official figures seem to indicate. Many of you emailed and asked about what is the best way to offer help and aid. Here is a list of simple resources to get you started.
- Joy of Sharing: This is a Norwalk, CA-based charity group that gathers funds for vital supplies. Please select COVID-19 INDIA to designate your funds.
- Aid India: Like Joy of Sharing, it too accepts credit cards for online donations.
- Mission Oxygen: This is an initiative by a community of founders from the Delhi region to donate life-saving equipment to hospitals.
- Give India is helping organize funds for oxygen, food, survivor support, and other needs for those who desperately need it.
- Hemkunt Foundation is helping laborers and migrant workers who have been made jobless and homeless. They are helping to provide them with food, shelter, and basic hygiene/survival supplies.
I hope this list helps. I will keep updating the links as I find them.