Hi, I am Om.
I am a San Francisco-based writer, photographer, and investor. I have spent three decades in the trenches of Silicon Valley as a journalist, entrepreneur, and, more recently, as a venture capitalist. I have been writing about the commercial Internet since its birth.
This website is where I write about technology, photography, and general observations about life. I use the twin lenses of technology and humanism as a way to connect the dots and understand our present and future. I like to write like a human, steering clear of jargon and B-school speak.
My photographic portfolio is available at PhotosByOm.
I was born and raised in Delhi, India, where I earned my undergraduate degree in chemistry from St. Stephen’s College. In the early 1990s, I moved to New York City, where he started Desiparty.com, a South Asian events listings service, and co-founded Masala magazine, which focused on the South Asian diaspora. My interest in learning and writing about technology and networks drew me to San Francisco, where I continue to live and work.
- Founder of GigaOm: With seed funding from True Ventures, he turned the one-person technology blog, which he started in 2001, into a pioneering media company and research firm.
- Reporter & Writer: Previously served in various editorial roles for Business 2.0, Forbes.com, Red Herring, and Quick Nikkei News.
- Other Work: His writings have appeared in many newspapers and magazines, including The New Yorker, Fast Company, Wired, and The Wall Street Journal.
- Books: He is the author of Broadbandits: Inside the $750 Billion Telecom Heist. (Take a look on Google Books or buy it from Amazon.)
- Etc: Om regularly provides commentary for television and radio programs on Bloomberg, NPR, BBC, CNN, CNBC, and other stations.
In 2008, about nine months after a major heart attack adjusted my focus and priorities, I became a venture partner at True. I eventually became a full-time partner at True in 2014. These are my current investments. I have since transitioned to partner emeritus. I currently focus on technology trends prediction and prognostication while guiding the True team to take bigger and bolder technology market risks.
I am an amateur photographer and a Leica enthusiast. You can view my minimal landscapes on my photography portfolio at my website, PhotosByOm.com.
Follow can follow me on Twitter: @Om.