In an interview yesterday, Hillel Fuld asked me questions on blogging, Apple, Google and other hot topics. Thanks Hillel for taking the time to interview me. Here are excerpts
- Why I do what I do: I love writing about people who want to rearrange the world according to their vision. I get to learn from super smart people – every day, every conversation; every story is like going to school.
- What works in Blogging: Be yourself, be intellectually honest and be respectful of others – their work, their words and most importantly the attention they accord you. And keep things simple.
- On Incumbents like Google and Facebook: Tech is one industry where no one can rest on his or her laurels forever. Not even Larry Page or Mark Zuckerberg. There is some crazy kid inventing the future somewhere — and that is why I love our industry. It is always changing. Always.
- Apple vs Google: I think they are two fundamentally different approaches to the mobile Internet. Apple is going to make a lot of money with their model. I like their model as much as I like Google’s approach. Google is going to be massive in this market, but it doesn’t necessarily mean Apple has to fail. It is a sign of the bigger industry change to mobile-centric Internet based computing. Apple and Google are leading the charge on it.
- Windows Phone 7/Nokia Combination: Nokia/Microsoft claim will have a competitive product in the market in 2012. To me, that is more time for Google and Apple to increase their grip on the ecosystem.
- LocationGate & Other Societal Challenges: we are going to see more of these issues crop up, mostly because we are seeing the idea of technology, privacy and how we live going through a sea change because of continuous connectivity.