Today, I am kicking off a new podcast series — Stuck @ Om. This is a series of casual but candid conversations with people whose opinions I respect, and enjoy learning from. I get on the Zoom with someone and we have a conversation – like we would if we were meeting in real life. We talk about the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on the world, and what we do for a living. Whether it is investing in startups or inventing the future, writing about our society or simply the logic of data and science.
In this debut episode, I chat have a candid conversation with my dear friend Bijan Sabet—the co-founder of Spark Capital—about the impact of the pandemic on humanity.
I had so many questions, many just rattling around my mind. I was wondering about how as a species will deal with the ability to connect? Do we become less individualistic and elitist? Or we just stay the same? With a society that has become narcissistic and self-centered, will this be our opportunity to emerge evolved, with a more compassionate approach to the people we encounter?
And what about the startup ecosystem? What will the startup landscape look like in a few months? What will the economic impact look like? Layoffs have already started and will likely continue. Will it be a deep recession is coming, one that may rival the dot-com bust that lasted for a few years? This is a conversation between two friends — have a listen.
Outline of This Episode
- How the Coronavirus pandemic is impacting humanity
- How should we emerge from isolation post-pandemic?
- A move away from self-centeredness towards compassion
- What ongoing change will we see in the economy
- Businesses must be smart and agile—and avoid panic
- Is this virus a beta-test for a dystopian future?
- We discuss means of coping with the isolation
- Bijan and I talk about how our families are adjusting