After a very successful debut last year, The Crunchies are returning to once again celebrate the best of entrepreneurship and new startups. With the economy being what it is, 2009 is going to be a tough year for everyone and I see events like The Crunchies as a big morale booster for those of us working in the trenches. The Crunchies are a joint effort by us, VentureBeat, Silicon Alley Insider and TechCrunch. More details will emerge in the coming days but for now, here are the rules and some facts.
- Nominations will be accepted from now through Dec. 10 at midnight PT.
- There are 15 award categories to recognize various types of technology innovation.
- Companies will be nominated based on their accomplishments in 2008.
- For each award category, each person is invited to nominate one company.
- The voting will start on Dec. 15-Jan. 5 midnight PT.
- The Crunchies committee will select five finalists per award category based on popular nominations and company accomplishments made in 2008.
- One ballot per IP address per day will be counted in the final vote for the winners.
- The Awards Ceremony will be held on Jan. 9, 2009, 7:30 pm at the Herbst Theater across the street from City Hall in San Francisco. The reception will follow and tickets will be released in December.