The Details magazine talked to Steven Alan (a well known men’s fashion designer who makes some high quality shirts) and asked him to share his Rules of Style. They are really good and really helpful for someone who is looking for help.
1. Get an automatic watch that’s water resistant and stainless steel and straps that are made of good-quality natural leather .
2. Classics are just that—classic.
3.individual expression of style that often comes from choice of accessories—shoes, hats, scarves, sweaters, etc.
4. Men should ever look too perfect. This is not just for dress but their hair and grooming, as well.
5. Any of our shirts over a white tee and jeans is a great go-to.
6. Don’t look for things because they’re in fashion, but because they’re beautiful and will have longevity.
7. Look around carefully for your eyewear, because it’s the thing you’re always wearing and it’s one of the first things people see.
8. Buy things when traveling, especially shoes. It’s a nice reminder of the streets I walked through while I was away.
9. A great wheeled carry-on will be used for years and always travel with a collapsible duffel bag.
10. Clothing that has a distinct personality.