I asked a bunch of my friends on Facebook for recommendations of some memoirs that would make great reading. The responses poured in and here is the final list. I will continue to update it as I get more recommendations. Unless noted, they all got one recommendation. I have listed total recommendations a book received. Hope you find it useful too.
* Sean Wilsey’s Oh the Glory of It All. (3)
* Sonia Sotomayor’s My Beloved Life
* Swimming Across by Andy Grove.
* The Tender Bar (2), JR Moehringer.
* Waiting for Snow in Havana by Carlos Eire
* Katharine Graham’s Personal History
* Blood, Bones and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton
* Ruth Reichl’s Tender At The Bone
* Fresh Off The Boat by Eddie Huang.
* Rick Bragg’s All Over But The Shoutin’
* Vladimir Nabokov’s Speak, Memory
* Henry Green’s Pack my Bag
* What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Murakami
* The Night of the Gun, by David Carr (2)
* Tobias Wolfe’s This Boys Life
* In the Pharaoh’s Army by Tobias Wolfe
* Just kids by Patti Smith
* We by Charles Lindberg
* How to Talk Dirty and Influence People by Lenny Bruce
* The Journals of Andre Gide by Andre Gide
* Peggy Guggenheim’s Out of this Century
* Beatrice Wood’s I Shock Myself
* Seductive Poison by Deborah Layton
* Victor E. Frankl’s Man’s Search for Meaning
* Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman!: Adventures of a Curious Character by Richard Feynman (3)
* Felix Zandman’s Never the Last Journey
* Memoirs of Hadrian, by Marguerite Yourcenar
* The Autobiography of Lincoln Steffens
* Gary Shteyngart’s Little Failure
* My Life as a Bystander by Peter Drucker
* A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor