Here are some of the stories that caught my attention today. Some of them are about technology, but not all of them. Updated all through the day, and shared via email newsletter in the evening. You like the links, sign-up for the email newsletter.
- The Cult of WeWork. PropertyWeek attends a WeWork event, comes back thinking that coworking giant is essentially a cult, but then aren’t all big technology platforms show similarities to a cult. Just look at Microsoft in the past, and Facebook, more recently.
- So un-Civil: Just because you add blockchain and crypto to your business model and profess capabilities to save the media business, doesn’t mean you get to shirk your duties as an employer. You still have to pay your people.
- What’s wrong with Google Cloud and why Diane Greene couldn’t fix it despite her blue-chip credentials. This is a smart, hype-free and an in-depth piece and must read if you are interested in the cloud wars.
- Alex Trebek on Jeopardy, Life & Information:When I read Trebek say that “when you have a preconceived notion about something, any information that reinforces your position is the one you’re going to go with” I was reminded of the problem with Facebook is that Mark Zuckerberg and close coterie lack the nuance to comprehend this very problem.
- The 100 Best Pens: Let’s just get one thing clear — there is no such thing as the best pen. There is, however, a thing called the quest for the best pen. And this list is a great place for you to start your quest. Sadly, I have too many of these.
- Vape Bros love vaping while pooping. Sort of like all smokers who liked having a cigarette in the loo. But Juul is not a cigarette — right? This article in Mel Magazine is remarkably funny and astute.