Finally, the big day has arrived. Apple has approved the GigaOM iPhone app — it’s now available via the iTunes store for download. It goes without saying that we’re pretty stoked to be launching this app, which essentially offers a unified experience of all our various properties — from our blogs to our paid subscription service to our events to our real-time Twitter feed. One brand, one app…download it now from the iTunes store. It works both on the iPhone and the iPod touch.
Many of our readers are already using the iPhone and Android browsers to read what we write, and those numbers keep going up. So it made perfect sense for us to build an app for the iPhone. Importantly, we decided against building an offering that merely mimics the experience of our websites.
Mobile and the web are two distinct experiences — from the screens to the way we interact with content, the engagement is entirely different. We started with a blank sheet and an idea with which to engage our readers. But that wasn’t all. In order to set guidelines for our app, I turned to the fantastically brilliant mobile guru Tomi T. Ahonen (author of the Communities Dominate Brands blog) and looked at the eight unique characteristics of mobile he lists. They are:
- Mobile is personal
- Mobile is permanently carried
- Mobile is always on
- Mobile has a built-in payment channel
- Mobile is available at the point of creative impulse
- Mobile is most accurate at measuring its audience
- Only mobile can capture the social context of consumption
- Only mobile can offer augmented reality
OK so we’re missing the augmented reality features, but you get the point. Based on those abilities, here are the features in our app:
* Real-time stream of posts 24/7 from across the GigaOM network of seven leading websites, with full user-commenting capabilities
* Access to the GigaOM Pro research service, including its more than 100 research reports, PDF downloads and the ability to sign up for the service within the app itself
* Ability to share posts and stories via Twitter, Facebook and email
* Video posts and live-stream video from GigaOM conferences and events
* Detailed conference and event information including speaker line-ups, schedules and the ability to purchase event tickets
* Twitter feeds from across the team of GigaOM writers within the GigaOM Pulse feature
* Saved articles folder for future viewing of selected items
* Direct communication channel with our team of writers
So download it and give it whirl — I hope you’ll give us loads of feedback so we can make it even better!
Finally, this app never would have been possible without the tireless efforts of three of our team members: our tech Jedi, Chancey Mathews; our director of product, Dan Burke; and our SVP of product & marketing, Dan Silmore. We worked with our friends at Atimi to develop this app and are very grateful for their efforts. Please, if you can, put your hands together and applaud the team that turned my wild idea into an app.
Now I can finally say: Want GigaOM on the iPhone? Yup, there’s an app for that.